What's new

Acting President Leni Robredo

From You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.
By: Boying Pimentel

“Being president doesn’t change who you are — no, it reveals who you are,” Michelle Obama said nine years ago when Barack Obama’s running for a second term.

We are seeing this principle play out in the Philippines.

Being president of the Philippines has revealed Rodrigo Duterte. It has exposed who he is. It has uncovered how he really views power, leadership, decency and the significance of being president.

He has declared recently that he is having a great time as president, even as the nation reels from a pandemic and from the mass killings he inspired. It was his way of hitting back, like a gloating child, at a prominent critic: “Kami dito, we’re enjoying the times of our lives.”

Duterte also sees the presidency as a big hassle, especially when people disagree with what he plans to do, and particularly if they are ordinary Filipinos. “Mahirap kayo? Putangina, magtiis kayo sa hirap at gutom! Wala akong pakialam!” he told jeepney drivers protesting a modernization plan that would hurt them financially.

He has repeatedly demonstrated that he views the presidency as a joke. He obviously didn’t take the pandemic seriously. “Tanginang virus yan, Saan ba nakatira iyan?”

And clearly, he has no respect for the office, nor for women, nor the poor, nor any Filipino who dares to speak out against abuse. This is a chief executive who told soldiers about to go to war that it’s perfectly fine if they commit abuses, if they kill and rape civilians. “Trabaho lang kayo. Ako na bahala. Ako na magpakulong sa inyo. Kapag naka-rape ka ng tatlo, aminin ko na akin ‘yun (Just work. I’ll take care of you. If you rape three, I will admit them for you),” he told soldiers about to be deployed to Mindanao in 2017.

Being president, to Duterte, is all about cursing whoever says anything he doesn’t like, denigrating women and the poor. It’s all about bragging about goals he never had any intention of attaining and then lying about it, brazenly, shamelessly.

Here’s the good news: It is now also clear that being vice president reveals who you are. And Duterte’s presidency has also revealed Leni Robredo.

Being vice president showed the country and the world who she is, what she’s made off, what she’s capable of. Being vice president revealed her weaknesses — and how she has been able to move, with courage, discipline and determination, to fix them.

Leni Robredo took on the job in one of the worst possible circumstances.

Her victory was immediately challenged by a powerful political opponent, the son of the most corrupt dictators in world history. And it instantly became clear that the president she was supposed to work with had limited respect for human rights and decent governance — a leader who inspired a wave of mass killings and terror that
stunned the nation and the world.

She’s a widow and a single mom who, together with her young daughters, became targets of trolls. Duterte openly belittled her as just another woman he could bully and humiliate, and You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.her in cabinet meetings.

She was essentially politically isolated, besieged at a time when a thug ruled the country with a certain degree of popular support.

A spineless leader would have called it quits. An unprincipled leader would have simply found a way to capitulate and send a signal to Digong that she was willing to play along. After all, other political players, including some of her one-time supporters like Lorraine Badoy, were defending a leader who unleashed a wave of terror and deceit in the archipelago.

A weak, opportunistic leader would have said, “I give up,” or “What’s the point of fighting back?” — and would have simply quit or capitulated.

But Robredo did not quit. She pushed on.

This was underscored in this pandemic.

Being president reveals who you are because as president you typically must tackle crises. Over the past year, it has meant facing a terrible, deadly crisis.

“The problems where no amount of data or numbers will get you to the right answer; the judgment calls where the stakes are so high, and there is no margin for error,” Michelle Obama said in her speech in 2012. “As president, you’re going to get all kinds of advice from all kinds of people. But at the end of the day, when it comes time to make that decision, as President, all you have to guide you are your values and your vision, and the life experiences that make you who you are.”

By now, it is perfectly clear that Duterte is a weak and ineffective leader, that he simply didn’t know how to handle the coronavirus crisis, that he simply doesn’t give a damn.

After all, it’s just a joke for him.

“Tanginang virus yan, Saan ba nakatira iyan?”

The vice president knew what had to be done. Robredo didn’t do anything flashy or dramatic. At a time when Filipinos were hurting, when they were getting sick and dying, when they were losing their jobs and their source of livelihood, she organized, solicited support, and launched simple, basic, but effective programs that helped people who badly needed help.

At a time when a pandemic was devastating the nation and the world, she searched for ways to confront it. At a time when Filipinos needed a president to lead them out of a dark, deadly, devastating chapter in history, the vice president stepped in to do the job.

At a time when the country needed a president, in these devastating, terrible times, VP Leni was acting president of the Philippines.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA canonize na natin si mami Leni as Saint kagaya nung plano natin kay Mami Cory. Living Saintess lang ang galawan

Pa elaborate paano naging acting president? (review mode) 🤓

Napaka general ng essay nato d ko ma pinpoint kung seryoso ang author or not 😅.

I have nothing against vp leni. She seems like a nice lady. She's a lawyer with track record to back her up. Very soft spoken and well put together. However this is also a double edged sword against her kasi she's the leader of the opposition which has long been viewed as a bunch of hypocrites. So the perception that will haunt her, no matter her accomplishments, will always be that veil of hypocrisy.

As for the claim of acting president, malabo. This is another claim filled with contradictions. Our constitution designed the vp seat to be just a spare tire without responsibilities except for any cabinet position granted to her by the president. So I'm really curious anong pinaggagawa nya as acting president 😁.

Last edited:
Just a way to say that VP Leni acted more as President compared to duterte who just makes a recorded appearance once a week to rant, curse or belittle the Filipinos, incapable of making or finishing a meaningful sentence!
BTW, when was the last time we saw him live on a presscon? Years?

[XX='awinahe, c: 1196593, m: 58492'][/XX] Highly subjective piece then.

Anyways I agree. Mabagal na mag process ng info si duts and his speech has slowed down significantly. Matanda na ang lolo mo.

Pero I think that is also why he remains popular despite his faux pas. Compared to the sanitized leni, dutz crassness is very popular to the masa. They're basically opposite types of politicians 🤔.

[XX='bananamilk, c: 1196667, m: 1464212'][/XX] of course it is highly subjective, it is more an opinion article, so the author gives his own views... It is not an investigation article!

Leni is tougher than you think... you must be a male ;) Women are really tougher than men in many ways, just not the same as males!

Regarding why the author titled his article "acting president" is because she did what duterte should have done if he was not sleeping, things like free swab testing (which is mandatory to eradicate this virus) free distribution of medical kits for people positive, and now she plans to make vaccination truck!

Regarding the role of the VP in our constitution, the VP has a budget and can manage as he/she pleases. The past VP just enjoyed their position doing nothing for their country! For once, we have one VP who really does things to help her countrymen! I did not vote for her and I regret it because she is the best Vice President this country ever had

bananamilk

Here are some things coming from the Office of VP, that could have been done by a working president who has billions at his disposal:​

1620988665529.png

1620988770891.png

1620988796096.png

1620988823443.png

1620988883144.png

1620988926374.png

Attachments

[XX='awinahe, c: 1199928, m: 58492'][/XX] Nga naman previous VPs were laden with corruption issues but kudos to her for 600m+ yearly budget well spent👏.

Oy I respect women hah. Anyways the piece is a highly subjective assessment plus the title. Open to lots of bashing 🤣.

Again. Hats off to her for being pro active beyond the scope of her job description but leme remind you hindi trabaho ng presidente ang mag isip ng activities to do with the budget of his office. Trabaho yan ng cabinet involved taga pirma lang siya kasi these people are supposed to be experts in their own fields. In theory sasabihin lang ni dutz ano gusto nya mangyari ang cabinet na bahala mag isip pano implement yung initiative. Unfortunately questionable yung expert in their own field 🙄.

[XX='bananamilk, c: 1200136, m: 1464212'][/XX] Agreed! A "normal" administration should work as you describe it... but since 2016 nothing is normal anymore, duterte letting his dictatorial tendencies taking over! I think the cabinet members don't have a lot of power; they can't do anything without his approval... Or maybe I should say they could not, because I am convinced that duterte does not reign anymore on his administration! He is no more fit (if he was!) either physically or mentally... bong go is the one deciding now, acting in duterte shadow...

Hmmn has dictatorial tendencies and yet he's also a puppet of bonggo? Inconsistent no?

I'm assuming hindi mo masyado gets structure ng executive branch? I'm not an expert but from what I know, every department have a set of powers and functions plus they have to follow the internal rules and regulations set forth for their respective offices kasi they're mere alter egos of the president. Naka taga sa bato (IRR) ang pwede at hindi nila pwedeng gawin. Tsaka normal yun that the president has the last say kasi mag utos siya tapos ibabalik sa kanya nakalatag na yung plans, he can either sign or ask for changes or scrap it. It's his prerogative.

Syempre may restrictions na nakakagawa parin ng pagkaka perahan ang mga buwaya. May special technique sila jan😏

[XX='bananamilk, c: 1200774, m: 1464212'][/XX] not inconsistent: in a recent past duterte, when still "fit" to rule had these dictatorial tendencies, now that he is physically and mentally diminished, bong go is the dark eminence of the government! But that is only my feeling, i don't say and never will, that i detain the truth!!
I know how the exec branch works... in a normal government! This is not a normal government!