What's new

Closed Byron Scott: Lakers Will Use Analytics ‘A Lot More’ This Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PurpleFox

The entire Los Angeles Lakers organization has come under fire for their supposed lack of integration of analytics. The franchise has been been labeled as behind the times and many believe it affects the team on the court, as well as in the off-season.

You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

The Lakers recently promoted Clay Moser to the newly created position of Assistant Coach/Director of Basketball Strategy and head coach Byron Scott admitted to You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. that the team will be using analytics more this season:

The analytical part, like I said, I wasn’t a big proponent in it, but Clay (Moser) is a guy who’s kind of our go-between to make sure the analytical guys understand exactly what I want, and also to make us understand exactly what they’re doing. He’s kind of our buffer. Mark is a guy who knows it extremely well, so are we using a it a lot more this year? Absolutely.

Even as Scott says that now, one quote that has followed Scott over the past year was his line about three-pointers not winning championships, which seems to have been proven wrong by the Golden State Warriors. Scott slightly altered his original statement, but stopped short of saying he was flat-out wrong:

They were the No.1 offensive team and defensive team in the league. They were the best team. They deserved to win the championship. The only thing I would say, or extract from that, is you can be a great 3-point shooting team, but if you don’t play defense, you won’t win championships.

Scott has continually hammered the point home that defense is the most important thing to him and his comments have not wavered on that mindset.

The most important thing is that the Lakers seem to be integrating analytics and while they may not be the Houston Rockets when it comes to using everything, this is still a step in the right direction and the organization is on the same page.

Dear @PurpleFox,

Since 2 years have passed since the last reply in this thread, I am locking it to prevent necroposting. Feel free to start a new thread or contact any forum staff if you want this to be reopened.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back