What's new

Help Globe at Home S10G Lan Connection Question

Soggy Geek

Grasshopper
Hi all. I have searched all over the internet for any info on this, but have yet to find any useful info. I have a GAH ZLT S10G running (stock) firmware S10G_2.03.3 with a Globe GAH sim. It has been running well for the past year. I am trying to connect a device to my LTE network that only had a network cable connection. When I plug it in to the s10G, it shows up in the "connected devices" list, but has no IP address assigned. DHCP for wifi connected devices is working OK.

I have already openlined the S10G and have full admin access. Is there somewhere to designate to the device that this is a LAN connection vs a WAN connection? How does it know?

I have previously connected a Raspberry Pi using the same cable and connection, and the RPi connected fine, was allocated an IP address and had internet access. This device is a solar charge controller designed to connect via cable to the internet. It is set up for DHCP, and works fine with the cable connection on another router. I have tried resetting the S10G, and the device. I have tried another cable (though the original cable works fine on another modem).

Any ideas as to what could be the problem? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Device List.jpg

GAH ZTE S10G.jpg

Network Settings Screen.jpg

Attachments

Thanks for your reply. The device is a Morningstar Tristar TS-60.
You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.
It works fine with DHCP on the other router I have (but that one has no internet connection). The other is a Mikrotik router running RouterOS.

One other thing I tried without success was to set the solar controller to a fixed IP address on the S10G IP outside the DHCP range (192.168.254.99). In this case when plugged in to the S10G, it did not show at all in the device list. So now I couldn't talk to it at all. So I had to change my Mikrotik router settings to the correct IP settings (to match the S10G's), and it connected right up.

Note the the Mikrotik router is NOT connected to the S10G, it is just another router (with no internet connection) that I have been using to talk to the solar controller. But I'm trying to get everything on the S10G.

My main question is... is that Ethernet plug on the S10G really both a Lan or a Wan connector? Obviously it could only function one way at a time. Is it designed to allow you to plug in the S10G to a cable modem, for example? (a WAN connection). Or is it designed to allow you to connect a desktop via ethernet cable to your network? (a LAN connection) Or both? Is there a configuration setting that tells it which?

I have searched through the forum here, but I don't speak Tagalog and Google does a poor job of translating.

Thanks

Also, I have just confirmed that DHCP is working fine on the S10G cable connection--I connected a Raspberry Pi via cable and it shows up in the S10G device list under the cable connection, with a proper IP address and can access the internet through the S10G. So I guess it's something in the way the solar controller is connecting.

I am curious of what is the use of the morningstar device and so it is for solar panel chargings.

would you mind sharing your solar set up...
I am planning to have one installed in our home.

Thank you

if the firmware upgrade on the morningstart device doesn't fix the issues, I suggest you connect the microtik router wirelessly to the SG10.
since the micortik router can assign IP to the morningstar via LAN cable.

I checked, we have the most up to date firmware. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
The Morningstar optimizes solar charging (a technology called MPPT). It takes panels with a voltage output higher than 12 (or 24 or 36v) and sets the output of the controller to just above what's needed to charge your batteries, and puts the rest of the power into increased current.
We have a sailboat (our home) with 4 200-watt panels that are 24v nominal (so they output about 30v). The solar controller transforms that into ~13v. We get about 55 Amps peak at mid-day on a sunny day here in the Philippines (at 12-13v). Pics here: You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.
There are solar controllers made in China that are a lot less expensive than the Morningstar, but don't have some of the adjustable features and the ability to monitor over network. (look at SRNE, we bought one off Lazada)
We have just converted to LifePO4 lithium Batteries (540Ah in 8 3.3v cells), so trying to bring all our power monitoring information into one monitor display.
You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.
We have bought a few things recently from these guys in Manila, who seem to have all the stuff you'd need, and some local offices, depending on where you live. You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.
Good luck, and thanks again for trying to help.
My next attempt is to try to bridge the Microtik, that can talk to the solar controller, to the S10G, so maybe it will all communicate. But I'm not a networking expert and the Mikrotik has a very confusing array of capabilities.

I hope I didn't break forum rules with my links. But supernoy was asking about our solar setup and the best way to describe it is to send him to some pics on our website... no monetary interest there. And we have no monetary interest in solarprice either.