What's new

Help PLDT Home R281 nag update ng Software Version (v004.1). Openline di na gumagana.

Silver Dawn

Enthusiast
Nag update ang PLDT Home R281 and hindi na gumagana yung openline na AT+CLCK="PN",0,123456,16
Error na ang nakalagay.
Also, openline na sana ako kaso after the update RED na ang signal. Kaya nag system restore ako planning na i-openline ulit kaso error na yung AT+CLCK="PN",0,123456,16
Any solution?

A couple of days ago, the router was updated and everything broke. The speed has become 1-2Mbps, before that with lockband it was 60-70mbps. I do not understand what is the point of such sabotage, they sell their routers, claiming that they have become even faster, but they prohibit choosing a band, as a result, all users use one overloaded band and hate pldt because of the low speed.

So I decided to see how the router works a bit. I was able to get root access to 192.168.8.1 via ssh when connected via usb.
Ok, I got root access to openwrt, but it seems I cannot change nothing. As far as I understand, two different configs are used, and from the debug we cannot access the main one. If you connect to 192.168.8.1 via usb, you will see that the interface is different and the service firmware = P28M26HAPLDT_CP_R281_V002.1
The main firmware if you connect to the router via WiFi = P28PLDT_AP_R281_V004.1
As you can see, these are different firmware and having access to the service firmware, you cannot change the main one.
How it is physically organized, I do not know, perhaps it works through some kind of virtualization, two firmwares simultaneously work in isolated containers.
The router is arranged like this, the WiFi router with OpenWRT and external LTE modem on a Marvell PXA1826 chip is connected via PCI-e

The service firmware only allows is to access the LTE modem device and send AT commands to it.
After last firmware update, some AT commands are still being works, for example info command AT+ZNLOCKBAND=?
But commands for get or set any options don't work. This may be due to changes in the router firmware, or due to a change in the lte-modem firmware. In the second case, häçking will most likely be impossible.
In the first option, one of the directions for further häçking is get /bin/atcmdsrv form old firmware, replace it and use to send AT commands.
The second option is to disassemble the router, get the lte modem out of it and connect it directly via the pci-e connector to the computer and try to somehow get access to this device or send AT commands to it directly.
Perhaps something can come of it.

To get root access use this command in console or use any ssh client such as Putty:
ssh root@192.168.8.1
with password:
notion

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the detailed information. We need guys like you who have depth knowledge and understanding with networking, modem/routers, console commands, etc.

Let's keep this thread up to date! I am still hopeful there could be a solution to this firmware issue with our R281 LTE modem/router. (y) 🤞

16190597336031462939682.jpg
1619059765899786565551.jpg

Attachments

Hello, can you send file /bin/atcmdsrv
Or all files from your previous firmware? below I wrote how you can get root access to the router. Use WinCSP to download files. Your router will update if you are using LTE, it's just a matter of time.

It's not frimware, it's config for service Openwrt. It gives nothing, I checked all these files
How to extract firmware from Huawei R281? I have another PLDT Boosteven R281 modem stucked on bootloop...

A couple of weeks ago it auto-update to v004.1 but the baseband was still on v002

I tried and still able to perform AT commands without issues, until it stucked o bootloop.

Now, it cannot read PLDT SMART Sim or other network sim, the LTE modem seems malfunctioned, but I can still access the web ui and there's no baseband version listed.

PLDT_BoostEven_R281_screencapture.png

Attachments

Are you have access to 192.168.8.1 WebUI if you connect via micro usb? And what version is it? v002 or v002.1?
No, cannot access WebUI at 192.168.8.1 via micro usb... :( The modem keeps restarting after it boots up a few seconds. I think it got soft brick when it tried to auto-update its baseband version?

But my other R281 modem with software v004.1 and baseband v002.1 - I can access the WebUI at 192.168.8.1 via micro usb.

192.168.8.1.png

Attachments

Back