What's new

Powerful Reasoning Against the Trinity

Gentleman007

Forum Expert
Elite
Reaction
It is amazing the sheer numbers of people who believe in the Trinity. The Trinity teaching is that the Father is God, the Son is God, and the holy spirit is God but they are not three god's, but one God. That is the basic idea.

As you read this, it is my hope that you will open your mind and consider the all of the Scriptures presented and how they apply to the basic teaching of the Trinity.

Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe in the Trinity. Why, many ask, since it is such a wide-spread belief?

Many times throughout Scripture, The Father indicates His supremacy and superiority over all other beings--animate or inanimate. He says through Moses the prophet, "See now that I--I am He and there are no gods together with me." (You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.) Further, in Isaiah the prophet he says, "Does there exist a God besides me? No, there is no Rock. I have recognized none." In another place it says, "Is it not I, Jehovah, besides whom there is no other God...For I am God and there is no one else."--You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.; You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Jehovah makes it clear that He is the only One there is, even saying, "Men may know that thou, whose name alone is Jehovah, art the most high over all the earth." (You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now., King James Version) In the book of Exodus, when Moses was about to lead the Israelites out of Egypt, he asked God a question. Looking at that conversation will be of interest. I am going to quote it from the New Living Translation. In You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now., Jehovah tells Moses to go and speak to Pharaoh about releasing the Israelites. Moses shows anxiety over this but Jehovah explains that He will be with Moses. (You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.) Moses then ask another question. It is this part of the conversation that I want to follow.

"Moses protested, 'If I go to the people of Israel and tell them, "The God of your ancestors has sent me to you," they will ask me, "What is his name?" Then what should I tell them?' God replied to Moses, 'I Am Who I Am. Say this to the people of Israel: I Am has sent me to you.' God also said to Moses, 'Say this to the people of Israel: Yahweh, the God of your ancestors—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you. This is my eternal name, my name to remember for all generations." (You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.) Regarding God's "Eternal Name", another Bible translation says, "Jehovah...this is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations." (American Standard Version) In explanation of the second half, His Name a memorial, the Contemporary English Version says, "It is the name that people must use from now on." Obviously, God wants His Name, Jehovah, (or, Yahweh as some people put it) to be used "from now on." Does your personal copy of the Bible use the name Jehovah or Yahweh? Look at You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.. Does it say Jehovah, Yahweh, or LORD? That will determine if your Bible has followed the command of God.

The taking out of the Divine Name has led to confusion over the years, some even claiming that God does not have a Name, in effect, contradicting the words of God Himself! They do this in an attempt not to discredit Jesus Christ, who they believe is Almighty God. I have spoken to these people and been aghast as they've done it.

I realize that when speaking to someone about the Trinity, the Old Testament is not a good place to start off. Since the doctrine of the Trinity involves the Son of God, Jesus Christ, it is essential to look in the New Testament to really find out if this doctrine is Biblical.

As one of Jehovah's Witnesses, I have read the Bible numerous times, from numerous translations including the New International Version, New Living Translation, Today's English Version, and the King James Version, etc. I have found that each translation is valuable in many ways.

One of the very first Scriptures that I like to look at in reference to the Father and the Son (whether or not they are equal) is found at You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.. We read, "And as he was going out on his way, a certain man ran up and fell upon his knees before him and put the question to him: 'Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit everlasting life?' Jesus said to him:'Why do you call me good? Nobody is good, except one, God.'" Consider: If Jesus Christ was God Almighty, what was the point of this statement? Why would Jesus, a perfect man (You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.), take away from himself by saying that he was not good but only God was? Many people have questioned this before.

The reason that this was done is very simple. "No one should say, 'God is tempting me.' For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone." (You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now., New International Version) However, read what the Bible says concerning Jesus Christ. "We have one [a High Priest], who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin." (You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now., NIV; You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.) Jesus Christ never sinned, not once. However, the Bible reveals that he was tempted, something that could never happen with God. That is why Jesus said that only God was good, because no one is good in comparison of God.

I think that as Christians, we can both believe that no one can tell God, the Master of the Universe, what to do. If we tried to, He wouldn't listen to us. No one can tell God what to do, right? Is this the same with the Christ? "He that disregards me [Christ] and does not receive my sayings has one to judge him. The word that I have spoken is what will judge him in the last day; because I have not spoken out of my own impulse, but the Father himself who sent me has given me a commandment as to what to tell and what to speak." (You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.) He again says, "as the Father has given me commandment to do, so I am doing." (You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.) Why would Jesus say all of these things if he was God Almighty? Would God say these things?

Obviously, we know that God Almighty would not claim that someone told Him to do something and that He did it. Nobody has the authority to tell Jehovah what to do. It would mean that He is not the "Most High" as the Bible calls Him. (Psalm 7:17) God can do "all things" (You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.; You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now., Young's Literal Translation) On the other hand, Jesus "cannot do a single thing of [his] own initiative." (You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.) Obviously, the things that Jesus Christ said makes it clear that he cannot be his Father. In fact, Jesus even said, "The Father is greater then I am."-You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Jesus Christ being God was not something that the Apostles believed. Peter said, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." (You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.) John said, "But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God." (You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.) There is not one instance in the Bible where someone says that Christ is God, only the Son of God.

Some people say that just because Jesus Christ is called the Son of God, it doesn't necessarily mean that he is not God. However, we can see that Jesus is the Son of God in the most literal of terms because both Paul and Peter wrote, "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ." (You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.; You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.) Jesus Christ has a God, who is his Father. He said to Mary Magdalene not to cling to him because he is not yet ascending to "my Father and your Father and to my God and your God."-You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now., see also You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

It is not in doubt that Jesus Christ is inferior to the Father. The Bible says, "The head of every man is the Christ; in turn the head of a woman is the man; in turn the head of the Christ is God." (You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.) Christ's head, Jehovah God, and the holy spirit all appeared at the same time in two instances. "After being baptized Jesus immediately came up from the water; and, look! the heavens were opened up, and he saw descending like a dove God’s spirit coming upon him. Look! Also, there was a voice from the heavens that said: 'This is my Son, the beloved, whom I have approved.'” (You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.) Another instance is in the book of Acts.-You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Finally, the last convincing piece of evidence will happen at what Paul calls "The End." The Apostle wrote, "After that the end will come when he will turn the Kingdom over to God the Father, having put down all enemies of every kind. For Christ will be King until he has defeated all his enemies, including the last enemy--death. This too must be defeated and ended. For the rule and authority over all things has been given to Christ by his Father; except, of course, Christ does not rule over the Father himself, who gave him the power to rule. When Christ has finally won the battle against all his enemies, then he, the Son of God, will put himself also under his Father's orders, so that God who has given him the victory over everything else will be utterly supreme."-You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now., The Living Bible

This Scripture is crystal clear. Christ is inferior to the Father, Jehovah God, and will be ruled by Him, following His orders.

There are numerous other Scriptures that support the Jehovah's Witnesses in their beliefs that "Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God." If you would like to have more information, you can You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.. Also, more Scriptures that and arguments that support Jehovah's Witnesses point of view can be found here and here. Again, I hope you have an open mind so that Jehovah can open your heart, as He did at times in the past.-You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.