What's new

Closed Rasmus' 2 HRs help Astros add to WC lead

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PurpleFox

HOUSTON -- You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. won for the fourth time in five starts by holding the A's to one run and four hits in eight innings, and You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. hit a pair of homers to send the Astros to a 5-1 win in the series finale Sunday afternoon at Minute Maid Park.

The win moved the Astros 2 1/2 games ahead of the Angels -- and Twins -- for the second Wild Card in the American League in advance of a three-game series against Los Angeles beginning Monday at Minute Maid Park. The Astros also moved to within 1 1/2 games of the first-place Rangers in the AL West after the Rangers lost to the Mariners in Seattle.

"This is playoff baseball in September, and we're in the middle of it," Astros manager A.J. Hinch said.

You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. broke a 1-1 tie in the fifth with a shot to left field off A's starter You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. (2-4), scoring You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.. Ramsus' second homer was a two-run shot in the eighth inning off A's reliever You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now., who was appearing in a Major League game for the first time since Sept. 29, 2013.

"It's huge," Rasmus said of his homers. "We always know the A's are coming in and going to battle us well. Thankfully, I was able to a hold of a couple of balls and we battled them and held them down. [McHugh] did a great job today."

McHugh (17-7), who walked two and struck out eight, tied You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. for the team lead in wins, giving Houston two 17-game winners for the first time since Andy Pettitte (17-9) and Roy Oswalt (20-12) in 2005. McHugh is 10-4 with a 3.02 ERA in his last 10 starts.

"I commanded well, made some big pitches in some situations when I needed to and Stassi was great behind the dish," McHugh said. "We had a little communication issue early in the game, and we ironed that out, but overall he called a great game. He was solid back there. My hat's off to him."

WHAT'S NEXT
A's: After an off-day Monday, the A's return to the Coliseum to open a three-game set with the American League West-leading Rangers on Tuesday at 7:05 p.m. PT. You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. gets the ball for the A's, coming off five innings of two-run ball in his last start, when he got a no-decision in a 4-2 A's win over the White Sox.

Astros: Keuchel, who gave up a career-high nine runs and 11 hits in 4 2/3 innings Wednesday in Arlington, gets the starts in the opener of a crucial three-game series against the Angels at 7:05 p.m. CT on Monday at Minute Maid Park. He's 13-0 with a 1.49 ERA in 16 starts at home this season.

Dear @PurpleFox,

Since 2 years have passed since the last reply in this thread, I am locking it to prevent necroposting. Feel free to start a new thread or contact any forum staff if you want this to be reopened.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.