What's new

Stories The Meeting of the Paxleys

WhatMV

Forum Veteran
Reaction
The Meeting of the Paxleys
by MGL Emvie

The dark-mark curse appeared in Gusion. I thought it was just a bruise but I am sure it was the mark that would spell doom to his life. It was an iron-clad rules that the Paxley family should do something in case this curse appeared and those who had the curse or even those who were suspected to have the curse face a terrible fate. However, I never wanted any harm to lay on Gusion. I tried to hid him from the sights of the elders and heads of branches of the Paxley family but they soon found out.

In the royal hall of the Castle Aberleen, the elders called up a meeting of the most powerful members of the family. These members are either well renowned warriors, high-ranking members in the dukedom, individuals who hold offices in different bureaus such as the treasury and agriculture, or the elders of the Paxley family. However, never did it happen that such thing happened where the family members called a meeting in Castle Aberleen. It was always the Duke who has the power to do so but this time, it feels like I was coerced and pressured to come as the life of Gusion were hanging. Besides, the entire strength of the Paxley family relies on the division of these people.

When I entered into the castle halls, the rowdy crowd fell into silence but I remained a tight posture and radiating confidence. I didn't let any worriness slipped in the slits of my eyes. I looked straight to the high table accompanied by the two knights that stand guard waiting for my arrival. Upon my entrance, all the lords in the dukedom stood in beside their seats waiting for my permission. I am the duke afterall.

As I waved my cape and sat on my seat, the other lords followed suit. I was about to took a sip of the wine when an old man came forward in the center of the tables. He scroll and read it aloud before us. It was speech filled with flowery openings and obvious flattery but the bored audience awakened their eyes when he mentioned the appearance of the dark-curse mark.

"Duke Aamon. We believe that we needed to execute the bearer of the curse!" said the elders.

It seemed that the elders had a rather wide supporters in the hall as the crowd started to agree with him.

"Give me some time. I cannot have my brother executed just because an ancient sage told some ridiculous prophecy."

"But that is exactly the same reason why the Paxley family survived all these years!" said another elder in another table.

It was rather harsh suggestion from the elders but it seemed that the people around them and their seat agreed to it. However, thinking that my brother were always a pain in the neck and a mischievous one, it pained me to think that some of them just thought of Gusion as a good riddance. However, there were some people like those of these knights before me and the servants of these castle who wanted to save Gusion from his ill-fated destiny but they too feared the prophecy of some dark-mark curse.

"If you so fear this dark-mark curse, then this must be a powerful magic." I said. "Give me some time and I will seek out the roots of this evil power and use it as additional weapon in the arsenal of the Paxley family."

When I said that, there were another surge of loud reaction but before it went uncontrolled smacked the table before me and exclaimed "If I fail within a month or two, I myself will execute my brother in front of you!"

And there goes several moments of silence. Only the drips of the wine from my messy table were heard. And so to set that promise into stone, I said, "I promise in the name of my father and the Paxley family that I will uproot the curse of Gusion and use it to increase the might of our family."

It seemed that my powerful resolve was able to hit the elders and the powerful lords in their brains. There were no one who can challenge that courageous promise but a promise is a promise. I only fear that I will execute Gusion one day because of that promise. However, I am glad to save Gusion and delay the time of his execution.

After I show my resolve, no one had come to dare challenge me. However, I have seen from the lower tables that there were some debates happening between them. But I ρáíd them no attention since as long as the powerful lords, executives, and the elders do not speak up, these little opinions doesn't hold much weight.

The meeting then soon turned into banquet. The master of the royal hall was always prepared at all times but he wasn't present at that moment. Nevertheless, the entertainment that he prepared were excellent. And so the night ended as if we celebrated something and it seemed that the main issue and the reason of this meeting were eclipsed. None seemed to remember the dark-mark curse when the hall became empty.

I prepared for the journey in search of this curse. But when I almost reached Antoinerei, an owl messenger reached me with the news that the elders of Paxley has hired mercenaries to attack Castle Aberleen where Gusion was hiding. That news struck me the realization that I was so naive. How could the elders just accept such a ridiculous proposal? Of course they'll let me go since I was the sole protection of Gusion.

Rage filled my heart as I rushed back to rescue my brother. I turned my abilities and stares at the elders and soon the well known silent massacre of Paxley family branches spread.

Author's Note: "Thanks for reading! I am not a professional but I try to provide entertainment through beautiful stories. I wanted to improve my writing more so I needed reader's feedbacks. Comment your thoughts, thank you!" ~~Emvie

If you wish to read more story, please click the link below.

Last edited: