What's new

Trivia True Christians

Gentleman007

Forum Expert
Elite
Reaction
As one of Jehovah's Witnesses I would say yes, but I guess ANY religion would say the same. WHY do I believe we have the TRUTH?

I did not come from a religious family. I heard about Jesus only on Christmas and Easter, because they are the two holidays associated with Christ, that my family would say were in some way holy. My family were in no way practicing any teachings. What I knew about religion came from T.V. In my view “All Churches, temples, religions were the same in God's eyes and holy.” When family died, we went to the church service. At that time I heard all good people go to heaven. I was interested in God. I thought about who He was and what He looked like. I always wanted to read the Bible, but I was a child, and easily distracted. I often laid on the ground and stared at the sky and asked God who He was. Would I go to heaven? I loved to stare at the sky and imagine myself as an angel on a cloud playing a harp. I often heard songs played that mentioned a loved one dying and going to heaven.

At 14 years old my two cousins asked me to take a church bus and go to church with them the next day. I was happy to go because I felt I should never say no to God. (All religions were right in my eyes.) That day while we listened to the priest talking he asked the crowd “Who here wants to be Saved and go to heaven?” Of course I raised my hand, and my cousins did too. I had no clue what was about to happen. A lady came down and took my hand and while we walked down the Aisle she asked me if I believed in Jesus. I said Yes. She said “Do you want to be saved and repent of your sins?” I said “Yes.” She said “Then you can be baptized.”

As I sat down listening to the priest say a few more words, one of my cousins leaned over and said “It's fine! I've done this 7 times already!” I was horrified and angry! I felt “Why in the world would you be baptized 7 times? Once saved already saved, right? You should only be baptized one time!”

Anyways, I was baptized as Baptist that day. The priest explained once saved always saved although I knew nothing of God or the Bible. I felt great, though! I guess I was going to heaven - even though I never had to go to church again. Starting that day I realized I was forever saved, as long as I believed and loved Jesus, I didn't have to feel so bad about sinning. (Up until then, I felt like I could never mess up. I wanted to be considered GOOD in God's eyes.) I looked around at people who also said they were baptized, and realized they were doing things I never wanted to do, because I thought it would be BAD. Well, at all the funerals I went to, for example my cousin who never went to church, was addicted to drugs and highly immoral, the preacher said he was in heaven! I guess, I was good enough for heaven to since I never did the things he had done. After that my cousin and I would pray together “Lord Lay me down to sleep” before bed and talk about what God might be like. (I stayed the night with my cousin a lot! We practically lived together since we were neighbors by this time in my life.) After we prayed I would roll over and talk to God with my own prayer. I would say something like I really want to know you God…” and other personal things.

One week when I was 15, I was invited to a party, one I knew was going to have drugs and *** and I said “Well, if everyone saved will go to heaven, I guess it's okay.” That exact same week, before the party, my dad took us up to see a cousin I had not seen in 7 years. When I walked into her house her 10 year old daughter grabbed my hand (like she knew me) and said “Let me show you what the Bible teaches!” I was shocked. She pulled me to her room, before I ever said hello to anyone else in the house, and she opened her Bible story book to page one and read it to me. She slammed the book, yelled “That is what the Bible teaches!” She ran out of the room while I sat in confusion. I said to myself “She didn't teach me anything!” I finally got up off the edge of the bed and walked to her mother whom I had not said anything to yet. I asked “Okay, what is this your daughter is trying to show me from the Bible?”

My cousin told me she was studying the Bible with Jehovah's Witnesses and they showed her EVERYTHING from the Bible. My cousin started showing me tons of scriptures and I sat listening.

The key scriptures that hit me the most were:

Psalms 83: 18, Exodus 3: 15, and Psalms 37: 9 - 11, 29

I was like “Wow! No one has ever showed me these verses before. Now I know who you are God and that not all good people go to heaven.” My cousin also explained that God was love and HELL is not a place of fiery torture. When I read all the scriptures I saw the TRUTH and realized no one else has ever SHOWED me the Bible verses to their beliefs.

After that she and I would stay up until 5 a.m. reading and discussing the Bible (I stayed the summer with her and most weekends after that, until I turned 18!) Seeing the Bible verses made me realize Jehovah's Witnesses had the truth and unless someone can SHOW me the Bible Verse against a teaching, I will always believe. I was baptized at 19. I loved Bible truth, but I had a lot of home problems and it took me time to actually get to the point of dedicating my life to the TRUTH, although I realized WHY I was trying to be good and not go to immoral drug parties. I am 34 now and married the only man I have ever been intimate with, so I have no regrets.
—Renae Hammon