What's new

Trivia Filipino to English Errors Due to Direct Translating

Kaplok Kaplok

Forum Veteran
Elite
Reaction
Here, i will try to make a compilation of words or phrases that Filipinos commonly mistranslate to English by directly translating the words, forming a sentence that is out of context, makes no sense, or sometimes percieved as rude.

❌️ I am too ashamed to you.

↪️ Nahihiya ako sayo.

✅️ I am too ashamed to face you. (Guilt)
✅️ I am too shy to talk to you. (Timidity)

The feeling shame is NOT viewed in english as feeling towards a person. It is more to describe the feeling towards doing an action, or being of certain qualities. And the word "hiya" can mean guilt but also can mean reluctance(timidity), which are two very different concepts, and is a very indo-malay way of viewing the word to be the same.

❌️ Jenny is ashamed to sing.

↪️ Nahihiyang kumanta si Jenny.

✅️ Jenny is too shy to sing.

Like said previously, shame indicates guilt, while being shy is simply reluctunce to do something. In Filipino, the word hiya represents both guilt and reluctance, and lump both words to mean embarassment.

❌️ You are acting like an insane.

↪️ Para kang luko-luko umasta.

✅️ You are acting like an insane person.
✅️ You are acting like you're insane.

While luko-luko does translate into insane, luko-luko is a noun and insane is an adjective. To illustrate the mistake of using an adjecrive as noun, here is another example: Para kang mataba kumain. - You eat like a fat. In this example, the error sounds more obvious.

❌Ask an apology to your girlfriend.

↪️ Humingi ka ng paumanhin sa kasintahan mo.

✅Apologize to your girlfriend.

Apology is the closest translation to paumanhin. However, apology already implies "asking for forgiveness." It makes the act of "asking" redundant, or it could mean you are asking the subject to give you an apology.

❌How much did you buy those pants?

↪️ Magkano ang pagkabili mo sa pantalon na iyan?

✅How much did you pay for those pants?
✅How much did you buy those pants for?

While bili is a direct translation to buy, the word buy is not associated to the price it is ρáíd for in English. Besides the word "magkano" also adds an indicator that it is the price that is the subject, not the act of buying, and thisnindicator is inexistent in the english translation.

❌️ I hope he is in good condition. [Comment someone involve in an accident]

↪️ Sana ay nasa maayos siyang kalagayan.

✅️ I hope he is in good health.

The phrase good condition is oddly vague to wish for someone after an accident in English. While mabuting kalagayan already implies good health, it is simply inappropriate to use kalusugan in the Filipino sentence for someone's condition after an accident, because it usually is only for general health, hence the use of kalagayan instead of kalusugan.

❌️ She offered to pay me, but is didn't get the money.

↪️ Sinubukan niyang magbayad, pero hindi ko kinuha ang pera.

✅️ She offered to pay me, but is didn't take the money.

The word kuha translate to both get and take. However, take is used for something close by, and get is when effort is required to obtain it.

❌️ He pretends to be innocent when we talk about sexual stuff.

↪️ Nagpapanggap siyang inosente kapag pinaguusapan ang mga mahalay na bagay.

✅️ He pretends to be ignorant when we talk about sexual stuff.

The word Innocent is more exclusive to mean "free from guilt" in english, unlike how inosente and walang alam can be interchanged in Filipino. Ignorant is more appropriate to convey the same message.

❌️ She is still negotiable. (Dating)

↪️ "Negosyabol" pa siya.

✅️ She is still single, and searching.

Negosyabol is an english word jokingly used in filipino to more and less say "ready to mingle". However, the joke does not translate properly, which is only considered funny in Filipino but will not make sense in English. It can even sound offensive.

❌Open / Alive the lights.

↪️ Buksan / buhayin mo ang ilaw.

✅Turn / switch the lights on.

"Open" is only used for doors, lids or wrappings. English added the new words since the invention of electrical switches for this purpose. However the filipino language still used the same terminology used for oil lamps from a long gone past

❌️ I grew up in the province.

↪️ Ako ay lumaki sa probinsya.

✅️ I grew up in the rural province of name of province.

American english does not convey the same idea of the word "province" because they dont have those. However, in British english, "province" is understood as a place outside the capital that lacks cultural sophistacation... which can mean the same, but as a degradation. It is more appropriate to just add the "rural" adjective to have a closer idea of how Filipinos would understand what provinces mean contextually.

❌️ The sun was already up when I slept.

↪️ Sikat na ang araw nang matulog ako.

✅️ The sun was already up when I went to bed.

While technically correct, it is more appropriate to say "go to bed" to imply sleeping. While filipinos are more particular about the act of sleeping, english speakers use the idiomatic expression of "going to bed" to mean sleeping, even if you were in bed the whole time before sleeping.

❌️ Anna told me to come to her birthday.

↪️ Sinabihan ako ni Anna na  pumunta sa kaarawan niya.

✅️ Anna invited me to attend her birthday party.

"Sinabihan" can imply different things depending on the context, which will have different english words. In this case it was an invitation. It is more approriate to attend an invitation rather than come. Adding the word party makes the thought of the event more complete.

❌️ We transferred to Manila when I was a teenager.

↪️ Lumipat kami sa Maynila noong magbinata ako.

✅️ We moved to Manila when I was teenager.

While transfer does translate directly to lipat, it is incorrect to use it for a change in residence. Move is a more appropriate term.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Sigurado po kayo dito, sir?
Yes paps.
Disclosure: I don't claim Perfect grammar on the suggestions. They are meant to be conversationally acceptable.

But yes with this one, take should be used. "Get" is used for obtaining something with effort. Take is for something at arms distance, more closer to filipino term "abutin" but with intention of transferring the item to self and/or to another place (take my car to the store, take my phone to the technician).

There is an understandable mix up, because we translate both get and take to the same word in filipino: kuha, kunin

(Tingin ko mejo shaky ang explanation ko, here is a You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. na mas malinaw mag paliwanag)

Another possible suggestion, but actually changing the word.

She tried to pay me, but i did not accept.

Last edited:
For me, as we are not native speakers of the language, grammar doesn't matter so as long as it can be understood and the thought is there.

For me, as we are not native speakers of the language, grammar doesn't matter so as long as it can be understood and the thought is there.
In casual conversation, syempre it is a non-issue. In reality, most americans are accepting of grammar (and they are not grammatically perfect either).

But of course, it is nice to learn the norms and mistakes. Like i pointed out on the original post, sometimes, we might be sounding rude because of this mistakes.

It is not fun if they did not get your message, and you have to repeat the same error over and over again diba?