What's new

Help How to set up an external DNS server in Omada?

ceejayramos

Forum Veteran
Elite
I have set up an AdguardHome DNS server using an OpenWRT router. Now, how do I use it across all of my VLANs?
It is working with VLAN 10 since the AGH DNS server is on the same VLAN but it is not working with the other VLANs.

To use the AdGuardHome DNS server across all of your VLANs, you need to configure your router to forward DNS requests from each VLAN to the AdGuardHome server. Here's how you can do it on an OpenWRT router:

1. Log in to your OpenWRT router's web interface.

2. Navigate to the Network -> DHCP and DNS page.

3. In the "Resolv and Hosts" section, find the "DHCP Server" tab.

4. Edit each VLAN's DHCP configuration by clicking on the "Edit" button next to the respective VLAN.

5. In the "General Settings" tab, scroll down to the "Static Leases" section and locate the field for "DNS server." Add the IP address of your AdGuardHome server (192.168.10.13) to this field for each VLAN.

6. Save the changes and repeat the process for each VLAN.

7. After configuring the DNS server for each VLAN, click on the "Save & Apply" button at the bottom of the page to apply the changes.

By configuring the DNS server in the DHCP settings for each VLAN, the OpenWRT router will forward DNS requests from devices on those VLANs to the AdGuardHome server. This will allow all VLANs to use the AdGuardHome DNS server for ad-blocking and content filtering.

Once you've made these changes, ensure that the client devices on VLANs 20 and 30 are obtaining IP addresses via DHCP from the OpenWRT router and that the DNS server setting is automatically configured to use the AdGuardHome server. You can verify this by checking the DNS server settings on the client devices or by running a DNS leak test to confirm that the AdGuardHome DNS server is being used.

Back